Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Easter Gifts on a Budget



Refashioned Beverage Napkins

From this....


To this....

Cute. Cute. Cute. I loved the way these napkins turned out! Phil was cleaning out his closet a couple weeks ago and pulled out this old Polo dress shirt he no longer cared for. I thought this shirt is terribly cute what should I do with it. I thought long and hard and this is what I came up with--beverage napkins. Beverage napkins are nice when you are outside and need a little something to wrap around your beverage--why would anyone not like a set for their patio?


Here's how to do the project:

1. Steal your husband’s old dress shirt

2. Measure the size you would like your beverage napkin to be

3. I measured mine 8 x 8 but if you would like them bigger 12 x 12 is a nice size

4. Grab a ruler and turn down your raw edges 1/4 of an inch or if you are a beginner like me turn them down 1/2 of an inch

5. Remember to have the faded side up when pinning your edges

6. Iron your edges and pin

7. Sew your edges

8. Unpin and you’re all finished!

If you want to sew on a "yo yo" like I have done thats another post/subject but contact me if you are interested.

If  I am unclear on the directions please let me know and I can clarify. 
 


All Purpose Spice Rub

Men typically love to grill. This I thought would be a perfect gift to give Dad since he is very much into brines, marinades, and rubs. I found the recipe on marthastewart.com. What's nice about this Easter goody is that all of the ingredients found in the recipe are typically in ones cabinet. I mixed up the rub and put it in a plastic bag. Included was a recipe card in which I wrote out the recipe for his future reference. Personalized recipe cards were found online at polkadotpress.com but are available everywhere and make nice gifts. Once packaged it looked really nice (a lot better than in a Ziploc)

 
Give me feedback--what do you think?

3 comments:

  1. I like the idea of the all inclusive bag. It gave me an idea of maybe hot chocolate in a bag with marshmallows and sending it in an old coffee cup that maybe you no longer use. Thanks Louise

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whitney,

    I L-O-V-E the bev naps!! I have a bunch of old quilt fabric that was my great great grandmother's (millions of different colors & textures) that I'd love to to turn into napkins! Maybe soon I'll try your method on a rainy day :) Thanks!!

    PS. Can you use any fabric?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mary,

    You can use just about any fabric that can uphold wear and tear and that will wash well. That would be neat to use your great grandmas fabric...you should try it when your not trying everything else baking wise...LOL

    ReplyDelete